Sunday, June 13, 2010

I don't mean to toot my own horn...

But I made THE BEST dinner tonight. TOOT TOOT!!!!!!


Last week while we were grocery shopping Scot grabbed huge sweet potatoes. I kept asking myself what on earth I was going to do with them.

I decided to make twice baked sweet potatoes. I am a huge fan of twice baked potatoes so I figured I had to at least give it a try.

What you need:
Sweet potatoes (I used 2 large ones, and it was waaay to much for two of us. So if you're using large potatoes, keep in mind how many people you're feeding)
1 pkg cream cheese, softened (adjust the amount if you're using less than 2 lg sweet potatoes)
1/2 a stick of butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

What you need to do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Wash your sweet potatoes and prick all over with a fork.
3. Bake for 45-60 mins for med. sized potatoes and 1 hr and 20 mins for large potatoes.
4. Once baked, pull out of oven and cut in half. Scoop out the potato leaving some intact so the outside holds up. Put in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mash until smooth.
5. Fill the sweet potato shells and place back in the oven for 5 mins or until warmed through.

Along with the sweet potatoes I made an apple pork chop and cabbage tomato slaw...DELICIOUS!

Apple Pork Chops
What you need:
4 pork chops
1 tbsp butter
1 cup apple juice, divided
2 tsp corn starch

What you need to do:
1. In a skillet brown chops in melted butter.
2. Pour in 3/4 cup of apple juice into pan and turn heat to low. Simme for 13-15 mins or until meat is no longer pink.
3. Remove chops and keep warm. Mix corn starch and remaining apple juice and pour into pan. Turn the heat up and allow to thicken.
4. Pour over pork chops.

Cabbage Tomato Slaw
What you need:
coleslaw mix
1 roma tomato, chopped
1/2 cup miracle whip
2 tbsp mayo
2 tbsp horseradish
2 tsp honey
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

What you need to do:
1. In a bowl combine miracle whip, mayo, horseradish, honey, milk, and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
2. In a med. size bowl combine slaw and tomato. Pour dressing over and mix until coated. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Chill in fridge for 30 mins before serving.

Needless to say, Scot devoured his plate in 5 mins. A job well done ;)


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment