Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cloth Diapering: My journey

When I was pregnant with Mar it didn't even occur to me to cloth diaper. In fact I didn't even think that it was still being done. I mean that's so 1960's right?? Wrong. There are tons of mamas out there going green and skipping disposable diapers altogether.

I had thought about going cloth when Mar was about 5 months old. I was so sick of paying for disposables diapers and feeling like I was wasting money. The only thing that stopped me was the price. To start a reasonable cloth diaper stash you have to fork over some money. At that point I said "Hell no!".

Fast forward 13 months later...Mar has beyond sensitive skin. She has major eczema that affects her arms, legs, face, and groin. For a month we were clueless (her pediatricitian was litterally stumped) as to what the ugly rash on her thighs and the back of her knees was. Her dermatologist told us it was eczema, it's rare in that area but does happen. GREEAAAAT!!!!

Of course the nurturer in me racked my brain for ways to eliminate how aggrevated the rash got. The decision I came to was cloth diapering. And trust me, this isn't your grandmama's cloth diapering. This is fun, exciting, and saves you money in the long run! I wish I would have started this when she was a new born!!

I've bought a few different brands to try out; Nubunz, Sunbaby, Grovia, Lovely Pocket Diapers and Alvababy.

Yesterday I recieved my Nubunz and Lovely Pocket Diapers. Both brands are pockets. This means that the shell has an area to slide in microfiber inserts to absorb wetness. I started off with the LPD and one insert. This last a good two hours before needing to change her. One of the pros, in my opinion, is the lack of smell. Most disposable diapers have a smell. Whether is smell baby powdery or chemically, it has a smell. This was smelless. I couldn't smell the urine at all, either.

For bedtime I put her in the Nubunz with two inserts for more absorbency. I really had my fingers crossed on this because I have dealt with night time leaks since she turned a year old. Even the night time diapers leaked. She went down at 7:30 last night and woke up at 8:30 this morning...COMPLETELY DRY. I jumped for joy!

So far I'm really enjoying cloth diapers. Once I get the rest I will review them and tell all!


Websites:
www.Lovelypocketdiapers.com
www.Nubunz.com






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment